Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Dragons Love Tacos Craft

BOOK: Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin

Link to Item at DPL

If you haven't read this book yet-- you must!  If you read it for a story time, hopefully you'll consider doing this craft in addition!!


Dragon Finger Puppets (with tiny tacos to match)!

First, you'll need some egg cartons.  I had the paper ones; I imagine the foam egg cartons would work too, however, you may have a harder time working with the glue on foam.



You'll need to cut the egg carton down to the individual cups for the dragons eyes.  
Each child will need two.



Next, you'll need a small paper plate.



Fold the plate in half and cut to shape the dragons mouth.  I cut just to the inside of the ripples.



You'll be left with a neat little piece that lends itself well to a taco shape.
Cut your tiny tacos from this piece.



We are fortunate enough to have pre-cut tissue paper squares of various colors.  I use these ALL the time!  If you don't also have a giant pickle jar full of them, I suggest you stop reading and go do that instead. :)



I used white Elmer's glue to cover the egg carton piece with tissue paper.  This will need to sit and dry for a little bit.



Next, color the shaped paper plate to match (or contrast) your dragon's eyes!



Glue the eyes onto the folded end of the paper plate.



Cut a dragon forked tongue out of red construction paper!



Add a few more embellishments (googly eyes and nostrils) and you have yourself a handsome dragon hand puppet hungry for some tacos!


Speaking of Tacos...
I hope you remember where you left those tiny tacos you cut a while ago!

First you'll need to color them yellow!  I used brown, green and red tissue paper to make the insides and just glued them all together.  I didn't think that tiny hands would have the patience to make these, so I decided to pre-fab them before.  There are two tacos for each dragon!!




No comments:

Post a Comment